Vai al contenuto
  • Navigazione recente   0 utenti

• Non ci sono utenti registrati da visualizzare in questa pagina.

Penske fan

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The move to America’s Champ Car

“At the end-of-season dinner in Stuttgart I sat next to Paul Morgan of Ilmor, who built the engines Mercedes were running in Champ Car. Lovely guy, died in that plane crash in 2001.

“He said, ‘What are you going to do next?’ I said, ‘I’d love to try Champ Car.’ Paul said, ‘Maybe I can help you on that.’ Next thing I know, Norbert’s sending me to the Homestead track in Florida to do a test for Carl Hogan. That was a wake-up call. The DTM cars had power steering, and in terms of upper body strength were not difficult.

“With the Champ Car, when I took one hand off the wheel to change gear, I couldn’t hold it in a straight line, the thing would weave all over the track. And God, it was quick. I’d come from 500 horsepower to over 900, big heavy car, loads of downforce. Jimmy Vasser was testing there as well, and I remember thinking, ‘How am I ever going to get near his times in this thing?’ But after two days I got within a second of him, and Hogan said, ‘Right, let’s do it.’

“I’d already had a run in an F1 car at the end of 1995. Because of the Mercedes relationship I got half a day in the McLaren MP4/10B at Jerez. After about 50 laps my neck was gone, but it went fine. David Coulthard was there having his first run in a McLaren, having just quit Williams, and I ended up about a second slower than him.

“But now I’m focused on Hogan and Champ Car for 1997.

Then I get a call from Norbert. ‘Ron Dennis wants to see you in Woking, just for a chat.’ I’ve never told anybody this before. I turn up at the McLaren factory, and Ron says, ‘We want to give you a test contract. You’ll drive the Champ Car at weekends in America, and fly back and test the F1 McLarens during the week. We’ll pay a good part of your American budget, and we’ll also pay you a test driver salary. If one of the regular drivers gets hurt you could become a Grand Prix driver.’

“Then he hands me this 60-page contract. You can guess the sort of thing: I’d be locked into a seven-year deal, but they could dump me any time they chose.

“I took the contract home and ploughed through it, and then I called Ron and said, ‘Thanks, but no thanks.’ I think that was the start of the end of my relationship with Mercedes, but I just didn’t feel comfortable with that. But I always got on well with Norbert. He liked to take a gamble on young drivers, and if it hadn’t been for Norbert I wouldn’t be sitting where I am today.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/us-scene/nascar/dario-franchitti-retires-from-racing/

• Like 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nel 2005 lo guardavo come un veterano agli ultimi colpi che faceva da contorno al duo Kanaan-Wheldon in Andretti. Come Herta insomma.

Nel 2007, dopo quella 500 miglia è diventato l'uomo per cui tifare. Se nel 2006 puntavo sul 3° di Hornish, nel 2007 non sentivo un prurito per nessuno, lui mi ha fatto vivere i 2/3 della stagione come la più bella, elettrizzante, affascinate e viva storia che non vivevo dal secolo scorso! 

Franchitti è l'unico britannico ad aver raggiunti i 4 titoli, superando Jackie Stewart fermo a 3. L'ultimo scozzese ad aver vinta la 500 miglia dai tempi di Clark, l'ultimo italo-britannico dai tempi di Dario Resta (che di lui portava lo stesso nome). 

Lo si descrive un po polemico, io l'ho sempre visto un grande diplomatico compagnone. Non aveva un carattere 'stronzo' alla Piquet o scontroso alla Bourdais, ne arrogante come un Prost. 

Il ritiro forzato lo ha tolto dai giochi, anche se ormai il suo indelebile segno nell'automobilismo l'aveva lasciato. Lo avrei ben visto sostituito dal cugino, ma Ganassi ha preferito un esperto, che puntualmente dopo un anno ha mandato a spagliare. 

La sua mancanza si sente e molto anche, ma del resto nel corso delle stagioni si sono affacciati piloti che bene o male ne prenderanno il posto: Hunter-Reay, il ritorno del suo storico avversario Montoya, Pagenaud, Power etc...

Come avversari nelle sue 4 stagioni vinte ha avuti avversari più o meno giovani: Dixon nel 2007, ancora Dixon e un'incredibile Briscoe nel 2009, Power nel 2010 e ancora Power l'anno dopo. 

Memorabile la sua uscita alla ripartenza di Phoenix, quando venne giocato da Hornish con quella finta 'frenata' nel 2005. Il suo 2007 per circostanze è stato un colpo di scena continuo fra i voli 'carpiati' in pista ed i duelli con i propri compagni di squadra o il 'giallo' di Detroit innescato da Dixon. 

Ci mancherà , anche se lo vedremo in pista spesso perché è uno dei commentatori della formula.e

Grazie Dario!

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

• 2 months later...